This painting has been brutal. It’s 48″ wide and 24″ tall (and what you see is only about 12″ of it) and I keep finding things wrong with it. I thought it was done yesterday, but it just wasn’t working so I’m reworking some clouds and the balloon and the canyon. It has to be done by Saturday.
Meanwhile, Ellen is checking out the birds below her.
This is a new one I’m working on and it’s rather large – 48″x24″. Ellen is approaching the Mountain (which you can’t see because it’s cropped).
Not a great picture of the painting, but hopefully it gives you an idea. I got the kids painted in, did away with the dog, and painted the distant city. Only a couple other elements to go.
I kind of like this little hill with its tower. It’s overlooking the sea and I think there are probably some folks who take turns living here to watch for ships or to light the beacon when there are storms.
I have other images from this painting on facebook if you want to check them out.
The city in the hourglass is coming along, but it’s coming along slowly. And so in an uncharacteristic move, I decided to block in the entire other painting just to feel good about the day. And it worked, because it’s no longer a blank canvas staring at me – it now has a ton of potential and little areas for me to work on and I’m excited about it.
Every so often I’ll have one of those days where work is un-accomplished. As in, I paint out more than I paint in and the net is negative. So it has been today. This is a new piece (despite looking identical to my earlier Hourglass painting) that I’m working on for the Kansas City show. And up until today I had a little city painted in the upper portion, crumbling away and decaying. It was quite nice, too, despite being old and dilapidated. I also had the new city, vibrant and bright and full of life most of the way done in the lower portion (you can see hints of it through the bluish white).
But it wasn’t right. I’ve had a nagging feeling about it for the past week even as I’ve painstakingly painted it. This morning I figured out what was wrong: it was too big. It over-filled the space and was just too large, which made the piece not work.
And so I had to paint it out which always is hard because you see hours of work disappear in moments and it feels like waste. It triggers the “you can’t do it” mental tape recording. And it throws off my painting schedule (this was supposed to be done by the end of this week).
So I did what I had to do and then sketched in another painting while waiting for the Hourglass to dry. The new one (as you hopefully can see) will involve hills and the sea and a river and a city and a couple kids and a dog. With the sketch came distraction from the Hourglass (and thus a slight muting of the “you can’t do it”) and excitement for the possibility that new paintings always hold. Hurray for the new!
Ellen and the Swan is done, I do believe. It’s 12×12 and I do like the idea of a swan pulling a balloon – the idea for the string came to me a couple days ago and I think it works.
Well, this is a swan that I started to paint today. He’s being chased (or followed, I suppose), though you can’t see by what or whom. Soon, though, soon. I’m painting so much lately because I’m going to be headed to an art fair in Kansas City in April. Which means I’ll need some paintings to sell. Which means I better paint.
I’m almost finished with the four panel piece, Ellen and the Wolves. I just need to do a few touch-ups on some trees and on Ellen. And then these will get sent off to their new home. Final size: 67″x20″.
See that little “buy prints” tab up at the top of the page? If you guessed that allows you to buy some art prints, let me congratulate you – you’d be correct. It’s a little rough right now, but I’m in the process of making it look pretty. For now though, it’s functional.
Been working on these for a friend’s kids. They like animals, so I’ve given them a tiny owl (which is all but invisible here) and some wolves (less tiny). There will be four panels altogether.
Merry Christmas! This one is called Hourglass – All Things New and I finished it yesterday. The bottom globe was difficult as I wanted it to be more interesting than the top. And it wasn’t until I stainglassed the ground and the trees. Which I think did the trick.
In other news, I’m getting several paintings (this one included) professionally photographed next week. Those photos will be used to make prints. Woohoo!